Churches in Chienes
Historical monuments
Hofern/Corti church in spring | © TV Kiens_Franz Gerdl

Churches in Chienes

Parish Church of Chienes
The parish of Chienes is one of the oldest in the valley of Pustertal. During the farmers’ wars it was often the meeting point of the „Rebaptized group“, a catholic group. The marksmen of Kiens fought very hard during the battle at the Berg Isel near Innsbruck during the Tyrolean War for Freedom. During the 12th century Castle Ehrenburg was the seat of the Sirs of Ehrenburg. The family was a very close relative of the last German Emperor Wilhelm II. 
Personalities: Kaspar Ignaz von Künigl - bishop of Bressanone-Brixen from 1702 until 1747 and important reformer of the church.

Parish Church St. Petrus and Paulus in Chienes-Kiens
The parish church St. Petrus and Paulus in Chienes was built between 1835 and 1838. Only the tower dates back to the 15th century. The paintings on the ceiling are remarkable. 

Parish Church St. Martin in Corti-Hofern
At the parish church St. Martin in Corti the longhouse walls are romanic, the vaults, the choir and the tower were built in the year 1473. At the inside there is a sidepiece altar which dates bach to the year 1520. 

Ascension Church in Casteldarne-Ehrenburg 
The Ascension Church in Casteldarne was first built in the year 1370. The building was built in the baroque period between 1698 and 1701.The mercy-painting was painted by I. A. Mölck (1755). In the crypt there is an old statue of the Virgin Mary and other interesting paintings.

Parish Church in San Sigismondo-St. Sigmund 
The Parish Church in San Sigismondo is one of the most beautiful historical monuments in South Tyrol. First mentioned in the year 1363, todays building was built between 1449 and 1489. The altar (1440) is one of the oldest and most important sidepiece altars in South Tyrol. 

Church ‘Unsere liebe Frau im Stöckl’ in San Sigismondo-St. Sigmund
The church “Unsere liebe Frau im Stöckl” was built in the year 1621 and enlarged in the year 1644. It was built totally new in the year 1680.